About United Neighborhood Houses
United Neighborhood Houses (UNH) is a policy and social change organization representing 43 neighborhood settlement houses that serve 765,000 New Yorkers from all walks of life. A progressive leader for more than 100 years, UNH is stewarding a new era for New York’s settlement house movement. We mobilize our members and their communities to advocate for good public policies locally and statewide and we promote strong organizations and practices that keep neighborhoods resilient and thriving for all New Yorkers.
Position Summary: The Director of External Relations is responsible for positioning all public communications activities for UNH. This role is responsible for developing and executing a cohesive communications strategy that encompasses social media, public relations, fundraising campaigns, policy and advocacy activities, website management, and the development of public facing policies, documents and reports. This work includes special events, project management, and content creation.
The Director of External Relations is a creative and strategic thinker who guides UNH’s overall brand and voice for stakeholders. A natural collaborator, this senior level position works across departments to both message organizational priorities and to elevate the voice of UNH, the settlement house movement, and New York’s neighborhoods. An ideal candidate must be dependable, hardworking and able to generate new ideas – and use new platforms – to increase UNH’s profile. This role contributes to the UNH senior leadership team through developing organization wide plans and helping set benchmark goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a strong organizational brand across all materials including but not limited to the annual report, invitations, event flyers, fundraising campaigns, policy campaign materials, reports, and mailings.
- Oversee and manage UNH's media efforts in collaboration with a PR firm. This includes developing pitch ideas, drafting and editing media releases and statements, coordinating interviews and opportunities, briefing both staff and reporters, and cultivating new media relationships
- Collaborates directly with the Director of Policy & Advocacy to develop media strategies for advocacy campaigns
- Monitor and grow social media presence across channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Maintain UNH website, updating/editing information, providing regular statistical reports on website performance, and coordinating website improvements with an outside consultant
- Create and coordinate the monthly e-newsletter and other email communications
- Create content such as videos, photos, community interviews, and other mediums for UNH publication and fundraising campaigns
- Manage consultants and vendors including, graphic designers, printer, mailhouse, photographers, etc.
- Staff a Communications Committee of the UNH Board of Directors
- Coordinate the Communications Workgroup, a peer learning group comprised of communications staff from UNH member organizations
- Develop and oversee the work of a Communications Intern
- Produce the Annual Benefit in collaboration with the Senior Manager of Individual Giving. This includes the development of materials, securing talent, writing speeches, and developing a text-to-donate campaign
- Lead the creation of the Annual Report including the design, theme, and articles
- Create and develop fundraising campaigns such as the Spring Appeal and other materials in collaboration with the Development team
- Lead and manage the Associate Board, the UNH young professionals network. This includes creating and managing their fundraising, volunteer, and other activities
Applicants must have:
- 3-5 years of experience in a Communications, External Relations or related role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced knowledge and strategic utilization of social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, other platforms) in the nonprofit environment
- Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and other graphic design software
- An orientation toward collaboration as well as the ability to work independently and manage multi-time sensitive projects and quickly emerging issues
Additionally, competitive applicants will have:
- Knowledge of New York City and New York State government
- A master’s degree or equivalent experience in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or related degree preferred but not necessary
- Video and photo editing experience a plus
- Related non-profit work experience, and knowledge of and work in advocacy preferred