Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of under-served communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Director of Development and Communications
Reports to: Executive Director
Position Summary: The Director of Development and Communications oversees the agency’s Development Department, which is responsible for: (1) all phases of private fundraising, including foundations, corporations, individuals, special events and direct appeals; (2) responding to government requests for proposals and other public sector funding opportunities; (3) resource development from volunteers, pro bono and inkind supporters; and (4) all agency publications, online communications, marketing and media relations. The Director of Development and Communications works closely with the Executive Director, Executive Staff, Board of Directors and outside consultants to raise the funding necessary to help Union Settlement grow and invest in existing and new programming, all aimed at increasing the opportunities and successes of the residents of East Harlem. The Director of Development and Communications is the chief fundraising and public relations strategist for the agency, reports to the Executive Director, and is a member of the executive management team of the agency.
- Developing the overall fundraising and public relations goals and strategies for Union Settlement.
- Researching, identifying and cultivating foundations, corporations, civic and religious organizations, and individuals.
- Planning and coordinating special events and fundraising activities for the agency, including identifying event leadership and working with Board Members and others to recruit sponsors, vendors, supporters and guests.
- Overseeing donor and foundation records/database, stewardship activities and cultivation.
- Strengthening ties with existing supporters, re-connecting with former supporters, and developing effective strategies for identifying and soliciting new donors.
- Overseeing the formulation and implementation of a communications/branding/marketing plan for the agency – including press releases, brochures, website, social media, annual reports, and the generation of news articles – all designed to raise the profile of Union Settlement, position the agency as a leader, and help attract both donors and individuals in need of our services.
- Overseeing the agency’s major donor and planned giving programs.
- Overseeing the agency’s 125th Anniversary Endowment Campaign.
- Overseeing corporate partnerships and volunteer activities including recruitment, placement, orientation, and assessment.
- Overseeing Development Department support staff and consultants, including managing the Development Department budget.
- Working with members of the Board of Directors, Associate Board and others to identify prospects and develop individualized giving plans and tasks for each member.
- Defining, measuring and tracking Development Department performance metrics.
- Ensuring that Development Department staff receive appropriate training and professional development.
- Attending meetings of the Board of Directors, several Board Committees and Senior Staff.
- Additional projects and duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
The ideal Director of Development and Communications candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field; Master’s Degree in related field a plus.
- A deep appreciation for the Union Settlement’s mission and the importance of its work, and an ability to eloquently articulate the agency’s goals, vision and work.
- At least 7 years of development experience.
- A comprehensive knowledge of all key fundraising functions and strategies. Demonstrated success in planning and executing major fundraising events and campaigns, including attracting and maintaining major gifts from individuals and institutions.
- Demonstrated success submitting winning foundation grant proposals and responses to government RFPs.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, including the ability to persuasively convey program results through proposals, reports and donor communications.
- Experience working closely with Board members to enhance and leverage the agency’s fundraising activities.
- Ability to lead and motivate staff, build teamwork and create a culture of collaboration.
- A track record of effective organizational communication and media relations, including garnering print, broadcast and online coverage.
- Unquestioned personal and professional integrity.
- Innovative and analytic problem-solving abilities.
- A dedicated work ethic, including a desire to be a hands-on team member.
- A keen eye for detail, and an understanding of the importance of meeting deadlines.
- Superior organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer skills. Microsoft Word and Excel experience required; Salesforce experience a plus.
- A strong desire to help improve the lives of the residents of the East Harlem community.