What We Do
The average monthly rent in New York is $2,801, 53% higher than San Francisco, the second most expensive city in the country. (Center for an Urban Future)
Founded in 1901, the School Settlement Association offers comprehensive educational, family and community services to children, youth, families and seniors at several locations within its community of Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
Strengthening Settlement Houses
UNH works to build the capacity of the UNH membership and manage strong, resilient organizations. Plan for and evaluate service delivery to assure that the settlement house model thrives into the next generation and beyond.
To build the capacity of UNH members, UNH works with Executive
Directors, Board leadership, and staff at all levels to provide a wide
variety of technical assistance, peer support and program enhancement
opportunities as well as professional development
for settlement house staff. Through these activities, UNH helps address
issues such as financial management, resource development,
communications, human resources and technology.
How UNH helps:
- Connects settlement houses to technical assistance from UNH partner providers such as Nonprofit Finance Fund (NFF), Fiscal Management Associates (FMA), and Community Resource Exchange (CRE).
- Monthly Executive Director and Associate Executive Director meetings discussing topics such as how agencies are handling reduced government funding in a particular program area or exploring the possibility of collaborative activities.
- Workshops such as “Development Systems Audit,” for fundraising staff facilitated by UNH partner Cause Effective or “Human Resources Updates” for HR staff by UNH partner Lawyers Alliance of New York.
- Specialized training such as the full day IBM Trailblazer Social Networking Workshop, offered by longtime corporate partner IBM.
- Access to special projects such as the ReServe Human Resources pilot project and NPower’s Community Corps
- Supports Emergency Preparedness
Advancing Literacy Through the Arts (2009) (302 KB) 02-Dec-2009
Supporting Parent Engagement: Lessons from Settlement House Programs (2009) (646 KB) 02-Dec-2009
Programs and Issues
Learn more »