DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
United Neighborhood Houses (UNH) seeks an experienced fundraising professional for the position of Director of Development. Reporting to UNH’s Executive Director and working closely with the UNH Board, s/he will be responsible for carrying out fundraising activities from individuals, foundations, and corporations which provide the major source of revenue for UNH’s budget of approximately $3 million. S/he will also oversee UNH’s communications activities to align with UNH’s work and fundraising goals. Qualifications include a minimum of seven years of supervisory fundraising experience or the equivalent. Knowledge of the New York City philanthropic community and human services field is essential.
United Neighborhood Houses (UNH), the membership organization of New York City settlement houses and community centers, promotes and strengthens the neighborhood-based, multi-service approach to improving the lives of low income New Yorkers and their communities. UNH’s members – 38 independent organizations – comprise one of the largest human service systems in New York City, providing high quality services at more than 500 sites to more than a half million New Yorkers each year. These services include child care, after school programs, adult education and employment programs, college access services. English and citizenship classes, legal services, senior centers and home delivered meals. UNH supports its members through policy development, advocacy and capacity-building activities.
The Director of Development will lead UNH’s development and communications activities, developing and implementing plans to increase financial support for and awareness of UNH and the work of its network of members. Reporting to the Executive Director, and part of UNH’s senior management team, the Director of Development will work closely with UNH’s Board of Directors which consists of 34 individuals from a variety of professional backgrounds with diverse expertise , including six UNH member Executive Directors. The Director of Development supervises a staff which consists of two development associates and a communications associate.
- Create and oversee all aspects of a comprehensive annual development plan to support organizational goals and priorities.
- Work with the organization’s Executive Director, Senior Staff and the Board of Directors to identify, cultivate, and solicit gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Personally cultivate and solicit Board and other donor prospects.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with the philanthropic community, donors, board members and volunteers.
- Plan and execute annual benefit event (generating approximately $650K).
- Plan and execute an annual fundraising appeal.
- Oversee prospect research to identify new sources of support.
- Oversee the development of proposals and reports for foundation and corporate funders.
- Develop and oversee budgets for all fundraising and communication activities.
- Oversee volunteer engagement program to maximize resources and increase opportunities to engage volunteers.
- Work with the Executive Director and Board leadership on board development, recruitment, training and retention.
- Develop communication/marketing plans and materials, including the agency’s annual report.
- Supervise the creation of all agency print and electronic communications. Oversee and continue to develop agency website and use of social media.
The successful candidate will have the following characteristics:
- Significant track record of success in development and communications.
- Commitment to understanding and supporting the mission and goals of UNH and the settlement house network.
- Knowledge of the New York City philanthropic and human services community.
- Proven ability to raise funds from individuals, corporations and foundations, as well as through special events.
- Successful experience working with a sophisticated and engaged board of directors.
- Strong leadership experience with demonstrated ability to motivate and mentor a team of professionals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to build and sustain relationships.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in the use of media, including social media, as a development and communication tool.
- Knowledge of print, electronic and social media.
- Ability to serve as UNH’s spokesperson in the philanthropic community and raise the organization’s visibility.
- Knowledge of Donor Perfect or comparable software.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.