CIVIC ENGAGEMENT ASSOCIATE
UNITED NEIGHBORHOOD HOUSES (UNH) is the membership organization of 37 NYC settlement houses and community centers that collectively serve over 500,000 New Yorkers annually. UNH promotes and strengthens the neighborhood-based, multi-service approach to improving the lives of New Yorkers in need and the communities in which they live. Rooted in the history and values of the settlement house movement, UNH supports its members through policy development, advocacy and capacity-building activities.
UNH seeks an enthusiastic and experienced individual to join its Policy & Advocacy Department. The Civic Engagement Associate will play a key role in expanding UNH member organization capacity and participation in advocacy activities, including trainings, peer groups, voter registration drives and community mobilization. The Civic Engagement Associate will work closely with the Department’s Co- Directors and Policy Analysts in support of existing UNH initiatives, including campaigns for early childhood education, after-school programs, youth employment, adult literacy, older adults and other community-based services. The Civic Engagement Associate must be prepared to take on additional responsibilities and engage on related issues of importance to UNH members and their communities as they emerge.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Developing collaborative relationships with human services and youth services providers and other sector colleagues;
- Mobilizing grassroots support to advance recommended policy changes or respond to emerging issues;
- Organizing UNH member settlement house participation in advocacy trainings and activities, as well as facilitating on-going engagement;
- Educating policy makers on critical human services programs and relevant policies in City and State budgets;
- Supporting the operations of existing advocacy campaigns led by Policy and Advocacy Department; and
- Contributing to the overall goals and work of the Policy and Advocacy Department.