News and Resources

The New York Community Trust: New York's Community Foundation Awards $7.25 Million to Help New Yorkers through the Recession

Tuesday, February 09, 2010
Eight nonprofits that provide food, shelter, legal help, counseling, and cash to New Yorkers struggling through the recession have received $6.1 million in grants from The New York Community Trust. The Trust gave another $1.15 million to six community groups and 37 settlement houses to maintain essential services such as day care, after-school programs for youth, senior activities, adult education, and job workshops.

 Nancy Wackstein, executive director of United Neighborhood Houses, which manages the grant for the settlement houses, says, “As we enter 2010, the recession continues to have a disproportionate impact on low-income communities around the City. Unemployment and loss of low-wage jobs continues; difficulty among families and older adults in meeting rent and utility bills and putting adequate food on the table persists; and affordable child care and afterschool programs remain in short supply.”

 Read full press release here>>

Read UNH response here>>

Gotham Gazette: Bloomberg's Bluff

Monday, February 01, 2010
It was one day after Mayor Michael Bloomberg delivered a particularly grim budget proposal, and the mayor and Gov. David Paterson were in the same room.They came together to open a one-stop Haitian relief center in Crown Heights, Brooklyn -- a joint effort by the state and the city.

 

Standing beside the governor, Bloomberg thanked Paterson for all the work the state had done and lauded the relief the center would bring to Haitian-American New Yorkers.The two shook hands. Then Bloomberg left.

Any casual observer might think the mayor and the governor were on good terms -- that the mayor hadn’t spent the better part of the previous day criticizing the governor's executive budget proposal released last month.

 Read full article>>

NY Daily News: Huge job program for teens facing ax in Gov. Paterson's budget cuts

Monday, February 01, 2010
Proposed budget cuts would gut a program that provided 52,000 summer jobs to low-income city teens - putting even more pressure on households that are barely making ends meet.

Gov. Paterson's budget plan yanks all state funding - $19 million - from the city's Summer Youth Employment Program, which places teens in minimum-wage jobs at nonprofit organizations, private corporations and city agencies.

 "Last summer, I took a load off [my mom's] chest," said Tamika Cruz, 16, whose mother is out of work and whose dad just took a pay cut.

 Read full article>>

New York Nonprofit Press: Death by a Thousand Cuts

Friday, January 22, 2010

Was it a bloodbath or a surgical strike? The impact of Governor David Paterson’s Executive Budget for FY2010-11, which proposes to close a $7.4 billion deficit with $5.5 billion in spending cuts and $1.4 billion in taxes and other revenues, varies markedly across the nonprofit human service sector. Most providers and advocates were expecting something close to Armageddon – or even California. At the end of the day, some programs had escaped relatively unscathed while others were eliminated entirely. The most common assessment was “death by a thousand cuts” as another round of significant budget reductions followed multiple prior year cuts, slicing ever deeper into the heart of services.

Read full article>>

(Draft) Crain's New York Business: Battling Mission Attrition

Sunday, December 13, 2009

In the midst of an economic recession that has most nonprofits slashing programs and staff, City Harvest this year distributed more food than ever before, raised record amounts of money and added thousands of donors to its rolls. Its success is a testament to its intense focus on its mission, but also serves as an example of the staying power of some of the city's largest and most visible charities.

 Read full article>>

(DRAFT) City Hall's Rising Stars: 40 under 40 honors Anthony Ng

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

UNH's Deputy Director of Policy and Advocacy, Anthony Ng, is listed on City Hall's Rising Stars: 40 Under 40!

Read the excerpt on Anthony, as well as the full list here>>

Read Executive Director Nancy Wackstein's statement here>>

Homeless Prevention program in NYS

Sunday, January 18, 2009

"I applaud Ms. Susan Dominus and The New York Times for shedding some light on the plight of Bronx families who will face eviction due to Governor Paterson’s intent to cut funding for the homeless.  “A Safety Net for Those Facing Eviction Is Itself in Peril” should sound an alarm to all New Yorkers that removing homeless prevention programs will have drastic impact on the lives of many, many families."

Read the rest of Senator Reverend Ruben Diaz's post here>>

A Safety Net for Those Facing Eviction Is Itself in Peril

Thursday, January 15, 2009


Arline Bencosme heard the whispery sound of a slip of paper sliding under her apartment door just as her 14-year-old son, J. J., was walking out of the room. Before he could come back, she scooped up the eviction notice, and ran out the door, leaving J. J. with his 18-year-old brother, Martin, so she could get to the welfare office before it closed. Ms. Bencosme, a home attendant who had fallen behind on her $980 monthly rent, could not make sense of everything the piece of paper said, but this much she understood: It was a five-day notice. If she did nothing, she worried, someone would come on the sixth day and padlock the door of her family’s tidy, if cramped, one-bedroom in the Bronx. They would be homeless.

Read full article>>